Tired of oatmeal? This coconut quinoa breakfast porridge is a great healthy alternative! It’s hearty, healthy, and bursting with flavor.
I think it’s kind of funny that I posted about how I am obsessed with oatmeal last week, but this week I created a (delicious) breakfast recipe that doesn’t use it…
Well, what can I say. You have options, my friends.
If you’re getting tired of oatmeal and craving something new, I would highly suggest this quinoa porridge! Quinoa is such an amazing grain – did you know it is actually a complete protein? That means it contains all of the essential amino acids all on its own, which is something us vegans get harped on a lot about. So technically you could eat quinoa on its own and be a-ok in the protein department. I may be biased, but personally I think you should just make this recipe instead 😉
Heck, even if you’re not tired of oatmeal, you should try this one out! I am sure committed to my oats, but I think I have just found a new breakfast favorite. Quinoa has a great warming, nutty flavor that pairs perfectly with coconut. I added some berries to this meal to freshen things up and pack a sweet, juicy punch.
A Few Final Notes:
- I used blueberries in this recipe, but feel free to use any berry that you have on hand! Now that it’s springtime and berries are in season, you should have plenty of options. I think this would be especially delicious with raspberries or blackberries as well
- If you are short on time, you can skip the broiling step and just add your cooked quinoa plus whatever berries you desire to a bowl. If you have the time, I would recommend it though – the extra few minutes in the oven really helps to create a crunch and brings out the nuttiness of the quinoa.
- You can easily double this recipe and use it for meal prep during the week! I imagine it would be great hot or cold.
If you end up making this recipe, be sure to tag me on Instagram @frommybowl + #frommybowl so I can see your beautiful creations! 🙂 Now, let’s get to cooking…
Coconut Quinoa Breakfast Cups with Fresh Berries
Tired of oatmeal? This coconut quinoa breakfast porridge is a great healthy alternative! It's hearty, healthy, and bursting with flavor.
- 1/3 cup Quinoa, dry
- 1 tbsp Ground Flax
- 2/3 cup + 2 tbsp Lite Coconut Milk (I used one from a carton)
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 cup Berries (I used Blueberries)
- 1-2 Medjool Dates, OR
- 2 tsp Coconut Sugar
- Optional Toppings: Berries, Coconut Flakes, Cacao Nibs
In a medium pot, combine the Quinoa, Ground Flax, Coconut Milk, and Cinnamon and bring to a boil.
Add in either the Coconut Sugar or the Medjool Dates to sweeten the mixture; if you choose to use Dates, be sure to chop them finely!
Cover the mixture, reduce the heat, and let the mixture simmer for 15 minutes.
Remove the pot from the heat and layer 1/2 of the cooked Quinoa to the bottom of an oven-safe dish. Add in berries of your choice, then top with the remaining Quinoa.
Broil in the oven on the highest setting for 10 minutes, keeping the door slightly ajar.
Top with any additional toppings as desired, and serve warm
*Coconut milk may be substituted with any other plant based milk, but keep in mind that this will change the flavor of the recipe
This recipe is also featured in my “What I Eat In A Day: Spring Edition” video on Youtube. Check it out below if you’d like to see two other recipes that would be perfect for spring!
Finally, If you’d like to save this recipe for later, be sure to Pin It on Pinterest using the below image: