This Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup is loaded with veggies, noodles, and a homemade “chicken” seitan. It’s perfect for a cozy meal!
For the “Chicken” Seitan:
- 3/4 cup Vital Wheat Gluten
- 3/4 cup Cannelini Beans
- 1/2 cup Imitation Chicken Broth
- 2 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 1/2 tbsp Tahini
- 1/2 tsp Poultry Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp Salt
For the “Chicken Noodle” Soup:
- “Chicken” Seitan, above
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 3 large Carrots
- 5 ribs of Celery
- 1 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 9 cup Imitation Chicken Broth
- 3 packets Rice Ramen Noodles (or other noodle of your choice)
- 1/4 cup Fresh Parsley, chopped
For the “Chicken” Seitan:
- First, add all of the Seitan ingredients except for the Vital Wheat Gluten to a food processor or high speed blender. Process until smooth.
- Next, add the Vital Wheat Gluten to the food processor and blend for 60 seconds. You may need to hold the food processor steady, as the gluten will begin to develop and form an elastic ball.
- Transfer the Seitan Dough to a bowl or flat surface, and knead for 6-8 minutes. This helps to develop the gluten and texture of the “Chicken.”
- Divide the Seitan into two balls, then roll each ball out into a log. Wrap each log in parchment paper, then tightly roll it up in tin foil, securing the ends like a hard candy wrapper.
- Add 2″ of water to a large pot, then add a steaming basket and place the wrapped seitan logs on top. Steam the “Chicken”, covered, for 50 minutes, rotating the logs every 15 minutes or so.
- Once the Seitan has cooled a bit, carefully remove the wrap around it and cut into bite-sized cubes.
For the Soup:
- First, prepare the vegetables. Dice the Onion, and slice the Celery and Carrots (I used a mandolin).
- Add a splash of water or stock to a large pot over medium heat. Add in the Diced Onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- In a separate pot, bring a medium pot of water to a boil and cook your noodles according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Next, add the chopped Celery and Carrot to the large pot along with the Thyme and Pepper. Sauté for another 3-5 minutes, until the Celery is translucent.
- Add the cubed “Chicken” and Vegetable Stock to the pot, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked Noodles and chopped Parsley at the end of cooking, and serve warm.
I used this Vegan “Chicken” flavored stock, but Vegetable Broth will also work in a pinch.
To save time, the homemade Vegan “Chicken” may be made ahead of time, or you can substitute it with Tofu, Beans, or a store-bought Meat Alternative.
For noodles, I used this Vegan Ramen made from brown rice, but you can really use any noodle you have on hand.
If you do not have Poultry Seasoning in your spice cabinet, you can make your own here.