This hearty Cabbage Soup is loaded with Green Cabbage, Carrots, Yellow Potatoes, and a flavorful broth! A cozy plant-based soup for a chilly day.
- 1 small Yellow Onion, diced
- 2 ribs of Celery, chopped
- 4 Carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 2 cups Gold Potatoes, diced
- 1 small head Green Cabbage, roughly chopped
- 1 14.5 oz can Fire Roasted Crushed Tomatoes
- 8 cups Vegetable Broth*
- ½ tsp Black Pepper, plus more to taste
- ½ tsp Fresh Thyme, finely chopped
- ½ tsp Caraway (Optional)
- Toast Caraway seeds over medium heat for 60-90 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add Onion, Celery, Carrot, and splash of water or oil. Cook over medium heat until translucent, about 5 minutes
- Add the Garlic, Thyme, and Black Pepper to the pot and sauté for an additional 1-2 minutes, until the Garlic is fragrant.
- Raise the heat to high, then add the Gold Potatoes, Tomatoes, and Vegetable Broth to the pot, then stir well. Finally, add the chopped Cabbage to the pot and use your spoon to “press” everything down – the soup will be very thick at first, but the Cabbage will cook down and release more liquid.
- Once everything comes to a simmer, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes. Serve warm.
- I like to use this Vegetable Bouillon to make my own low-sodium veggie broth! If you are not using low-sodium Broth, I would suggest doing a 50-50 mix of Broth and Water, or the soup may be too salty.