This Roasted Butternut Squash Salad with Cider Vinaigrette is a hearty, cozy salad loaded with seasonal fall produce and drenched in a tangy apple cider dressing! Vegan, Gluten-Free, Nut-Free Option.
For the Salad:
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed (about 3 cups; 495 g)
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/2–1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 ounces (85 g) mixed salad greens
- 2 ounces arugula (56 g) (or sub more salad greens)
- 1 15.5 ounce (440 g) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed; about 1 1/2 cups
- 1/2 cup (53 g) Roasted Rosemary Pecans, roughly chopped (or sub regular)
- 1/2 cup (60 g) vegan feta cheese (optional, but recommended)
For the Cider Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon grade A maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, crushed or finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 400F and set a baking sheet aside. If you are making the Roasted Rosemary Pecans, do this now.
- Roast: Add the butternut squash, shallot and rosemary to the baking sheet. Season generously with salt and pepper, then drizzle with olive oil. Toss well, then bake in the top rack of the oven for 30 minutes, flipping halfway.
- Make the Vinaigrette: In a small jar, combine the oil, vinegar, maple syrup, mustard, garlic, pepper (to taste), and salt. Close the jar and shake vigorously until the dressing is emulsified; set aside.
- Toss: Add the mixed greens and arugula to the bottom of a large bowl and toss until evenly combined. Top the greens with the roasted squash, chickpeas, pecans, feta, and half of the prepared dressing. Toss gently until all ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Serve: Top with extra dressing as desired and serve immediately, or place the salad in the fridge for 15 minutes to serve chilled. Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- Make-Ahead: you can roast the squash and make the dressing up to 2 days ahead of time; just store in the refrigerator until ready to assemble.
- Nut-Free: replace the pecans with pumpkin seeds for a nut-free option