This 3-ingredient pesto star bread is fluffy, flavor-packed, fuss-free, and the perfect appetizer! Naturally vegan and ready in under 30 minutes.
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 2 16-ounce packages store-bought pizza dough
- ~1/2 cup pesto (homemade or store-bought)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, for brushing
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 500F. Lightly grease or line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- Base Layer: Lightly sprinkle flour over a cutting board, then use a rolling pin to roll out the first ball of dough until it’s about 1/2″ thick. Transfer to the baking sheet. Repeat with other ball of dough, but keep it on the cutting board for now.
- Final Layers: Spread a layer of pesto evenly over the base layer of dough, leaving a 1/2″ edge around the rim. Place the second circle of dough on top, lining the edges up as much as possible. Use your fingers to “pinch the two ends together
- Cut: Place a small round object in the center of the dough to prevent cutting all the way through out. Use a sharp knife or pizza cutter to cut the dough into 16 equal pieces. I find it’s easiest to do this by first cutting the dough into quarters, then each fourth into 4 more even pieces.
- Shape: Create 8 pairs of two adjacent strips of dough. Holding one strip in each hand, twist the strips outward from each other 2-3 times, then join them together at the end and pinch the “tip.” Repeat with the remaining strips of dough – see the blog post video or photos for more help.
- Bake: Brush the top of the dough with oil, then place on the top rack of the oven and bake for 13 to 15 minutes, until fluffy and golden on top. Serve immediately and enjoy warm; leftovers can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days, or frozen and reheated as necessary.
Substitutions: can use melted plant-based butter instead of oil, if desired. See the blog post for more flavor variations and options!