Apple Cinnamon Muffins
Loaded with Apples and a sweet Crumble topping, you won’t believe these fluffy Apple Cinnamon Muffins are Vegan, Gluten-Free, and Refined Sugar-Free!
- Author: Caitlin Shoemaker
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 23 Minutes
- Total Time: 38 minutes
- Yield: 15 Muffins 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
For the Muffins:
- 2 tbsp Ground Flax + 5 tbsp Water
- 1 cup Soy Milk + 1 tbsp ACV for buttermilk
- 3 cups Oats, blended into flour
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¾ cup Coconut Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ¼ cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1 1/2 cup small Granny Smith Apples, cut into ½” pieces
For the Crumb Topping:
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Combine the Ground Flax and Water in one small bowl, and the Soy Milk and Apple Cider Vinegar in another medium bowl. Set aside and allow to thicken / curdle for 5 or so minutes.
- Combine the Oat Flour, Cinnamon, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, and Salt in a large bowl and whisk well. Add the Coconut Sugar, Vanilla Extract, Applesauce, and thickened Flax “Egg” to the bowl with the Soy Milk and mix until well-incorporated, then add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and combine. Finally, fold in the diced Granny Smith Apples.
- Next, prepare the Crumb Topping by mixing all ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Line or grease a muffin tin, then evenly divide the batter between 15 muffins. Sprinkle the crumb topping over each of the muffins, then bake at 350F for 23 minutes. Remove from the tray and let cool completely on a baking rack. Leftovers will last at room temperature for up to 5 days, or can be frozen for up to one month.
- Ground Flax can be replaced with Ground Chia Seed
- Soy Milk can be replaced with another non-dairy Milk, but it will not curdle in the same way due to the lack of protein content. If you must replace it, I would recommend using a high fat Coconut Milk or creamy Hemp Milk.
- Coconut Sugar can be replaced with Brown Sugar
- The Crumb topping can be left off of the muffins, but I strongly recommend it!
Keywords: Apple Cinnamon Muffins with Applesauce, Apple Muffins, Vegan Apple Muffins, Apple Crumble Muffins