These Chocolate Orange Waffles are crispy around the edges and soft & fluffy on the inside. Turn your dessert-for-breakfast dreams into reality with this vegan and gluten-free treat!
- 2 cups (180g) rolled oats, blended into a fine flour*
- 1/2 cup (48 g) blanched almond flour
- 1/4 cup (23 g) cacao or cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups (355ml) non-dairy milk (I used oat milk)
- 2 tablespoons grade A maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon orange zest (about 1/2 navel orange)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- Optional toppings: sliced or supremed oranges, hemp hearts, maple syrup, etc.
- Prep: Preheat your waffle iron and grease it, if necessary.
- Dry Ingredients: sift or whisk the oat flour, almond flour, cacao powder, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl. I recommend sifting at least the cacao powder and almond flour, to eliminate any large clumps.
- Wet Ingredients: form a well in the center of the bowl, then add in the non-dairy milk, maple syrup, orange zest, and optional vanilla. Mix well, then fold into the dry ingredients. Continue to mix the batter until no large clumps remain.
- Cook: Pour 1/2 cup of batter into each waffle “segment” of your iron, then close and cook for 4 to 5 minutes; cook time will depend on the heat of your iron as well as your preference on doneness. Once the waffles have cooked according to your liking, carefully remove them from the waffle iron with a rubber spatula and transfer to a cooling rack. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve warm, and top as desired. Leftovers can be stored in the freezer for up to two months and defrosted as needed.
- Oat Flour: add the oats to a high-speed blender. Blend on high for 20-30 seconds, until the oats have broken down to form a fine, fluffy flour.
- Substitutions: I have not tested this recipe with any other flour substitutions. Almond flour keeps the waffles moist, but it could be replaced with 1/4 cup of extra oat flour, if desired. Maple syrup can be swapped with any other sweetener, granulated or liquid.