A thick and hearty vegan Chili packed with chorizo, black beans, salsa, and warming spices. Ready in 30 minutes with only 9 simple ingredients!
- 12 ounces (340 g) vegan chorizo
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2–3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, stems finely chopped and leaves divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 15-ounce (425 g) can black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 16-ounces chunky salsa (mild, medium, or hot based on preference)
- 1 28-oz (794 g) can of diced tomatoes
- Optional: tortilla chips, to serve
- Cook the Chorizo: add the chorizo, onion, bell pepper, garlic, and cilantro stems to a large nonstick pot over medium-high heat. Sauté for 3-5 minutes, until the onions are translucent. Add the cumin to the pot and cook for an additional 60 seconds.
- Get Saucy: toss in the bell pepper, black beans, salsa, and diced tomatoes. Fill the salsa jar with water, give it a cook shake, and add that to the pot as well. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low to maintain a simmer.
- Simmer & Serve: simmer for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Divide the chili into serving bowls, then top with the cilantro leaves. Serve alongside tortilla chips, or as desired. Leftovers will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- If you can’t find vegan chorizo near you, you can replace it with a vegan ground beef alternative and add 1-2 teaspoons of taco seasoning, to taste. You can also finely chop some mushrooms, or use cooked lentils instead!