This vegan Kale & Quinoa Salad with Maple Mustard Tempeh is packed with healthy veggies, plant based protein, and tastes absolutely delicious!
For the Maple Mustard Tempeh:
- 1 8 oz. package Tempeh
- 1/3 cup Vegetable Broth
- 2 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tbsp Tamari
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1/4 tsp Smoked Paprika
For the Rest of the Salad:
- 2/3 cup Quinoa, dry
- 1 bunch Fresh Kale, de-stemmed and chopped
- 1 cup Sprouts (I used Sunflower Sprouts)
- 2 cup Cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 Medium Carrots, grated
- 4 Small Radishes, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Fresh Dill, chopped
For the Dressing:
- Juice of 2 Lemons
- 3 tbsp Tahini
- Salt, to taste
- First, add the Quinoa and 1 1/3 cups of Water to a medium pot and cook according to package instructions.
- In the meantime, add all of the ingredients for the Tempeh Marinade into a bowl and mix well. Chop your Tempeh into 1/3 – 1/2″ slices, and prep your vegetables.
- Add the Tempeh slices to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Pour the Marinade into the skillet, and cook the Tempeh until all of the Marinade has evaporated and/or been absorbed by the Tempeh, flipping the slices occasionally to ensure they are evenly coated in the sauce. This should take about 10 minutes in total.
- To assemble the Salad, place the chopped Kale into a large bowl, then add the Tahini and Lemon Juice on top of it. Use your hands to massage the Dressing into the Kale for 1-2 minutes, then add Salt to taste. Add in the cooked Quinoa, Chopped Vegetables, and Fresh Dill to the bowl and mix well. Divide evenly into two bowls, and top with the cooked Maple Mustard Tempeh.
Tamari may be substituted with Liquid Aminos, Coconut Aminos, or Soy Sauce (not GF!).
Quinoa may be substituted with another grain of choice, but keep in mind that this will affect the overall recipe time, and be sure to follow the package cooking instructions.