Toasted Coconut Butter
Healthy and tasty, this Toasted Coconut Butter Recipe couldn’t be easier. All you need is one ingredient and a food processor to make it! Vegan, Gluten-Free, Paleo, and Keto.
- Author: Caitlin Shoemaker
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 4 Minutes
- Total Time: 14 minutes
- Yield: about 3/4 cup 1x
- Category: Side
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- First, pour 3 cups of coconut into a nonstick pan over medium heat. Toast for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly with a spatula to ensure even toasting. The shreds will become fragrant and a gorgeous tan/brown. Immediately turn off the heat and remove the coconut from the pan once toasted, to prevent burning.
- Next, carefully place the coconut into a food processor. Process for 3 to 5 minutes, scraping the sides down every minute to ensure everything is being blended.
- As you process your coconut butter, the oils will begin to separate and the spread will start to “glisten.” The trick here is to keep going! Once this happens, begin to blend the coconut butter in two-minute intervals, until your desired smoothness is reached.
- After around 10 minutes, the toasted coconut butter should be smooth and silky. Pour it into a glass jar, and keep at room temp for up to 7 days, or in the fridge for up to one month. (Note: The coconut butter will harden as it cools, but if you want it to get melty again, either heat it up for 10 seconds in the microwave or let the jar sit in hot water for a few minutes before using)
- If you’d like to make more coconut butter, you can increase the amount of coconut as you see fit; 3 cups is just the minimum amount of coconut that your food processor will need to process the butter. (Note: if you add more coconut, it will take a few minutes longer to toast)
- I would recommend making this coconut butter in a food processor, not a blender. This is the one I use and I love it!
- Not into toasted? You can still follow this recipe for regular coconut butter as well — just skip the first step.
Keywords: coconut butter, homemade coconut butter, toasted coconut butter, how to toast coconut, toasted coconut butter recipe