Tofu and chickpea flour combine to make this hearty and protein-packed vegan breakfast casserole! Switch up the veggies for a variety of flavor options.
For the Base Recipe:
- 2 16-ounce (450 g) blocks silken tofu (I use Nasoya)
- 2/3 cup (51 g) nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup (39 g) chickpea/garbanzo bean flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 10 ounces (280 g) frozen hashbrowns (no need to thaw)
For the Veggies (or add your own!):
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced (or 1 teaspoon onion powder)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 4 cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 4 ounces (110 g) frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line or spray a 9×9” baking tray.
- Add the tofu, nutritional yeast, chickpea flour, turmeric, salt, and pepper to a high-speed blender or food processor (recommended if your blender does not have a tamper). Blend until the mixture is thick and creamy, 45 to 60 seconds.
- Evenly sprinkle the hashbrowns across the base of the baking tray along with whatever other vegetables you are using. Use a spatula to transfer the blended mixture into the baking tray, then mix/incorporate well, making sure to evenly distribute the veggies and smooth out the top.
- Bake in the middle rack of the oven for 45-47 minutes, or until the top is evenly browned and firm. Let sit for 5 minutes, then slice and serve as desired. Leftovers will keep in the fridge for up to 7 days.