These Vegan Lemon Bars are a refreshingly tart & sweet dessert! A healthier take on the classic, they’re made with only 9 healthy ingredients + Sugar-Free.
For the Crust:
- 1 cup Almonds
- 1 cup Rolled Oats
- 2 tbsp Ground Flax + 5 tbsp Filtered Water
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1/2 tsp Salt
For the Filling:
- 2 cups Cashews, soaked for at least 4 hours*
- ½ cup Lemon Juice (about 3 lemons)
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ¼ cup + 3 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 2 tbsp Arrowroot Powder
- ⅛ tsp Turmeric (Optional, for color only)
- ¼ tsp Salt
- Optional: Vegan Powdered Sugar, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Combine the Ground Flax, Water, and Maple Syrup together in a small bowl; whisk well, then set aside to let thicken for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, add the remaining crust ingredients to a high-speed blender and process over a low speed until finely ground. Add the thickened Flax “Egg”, then pulse until a thick dough forms.
- Line a 9×9” pan with Parchment Paper, then use your fingers to firmly and evenly press the Crust into the base of the pan. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the Lemon Bar filling by blending all ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth and creamy. Use a spatula to evenly spread this mixture over the Base, then return the Lemon Bars to the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes. The edges of the bar will be slightly firm and pull away from the tin; the bars may look slightly runny in the center, but keep in mind that the mixture will thicken as it cools.
- Let the bars cool completely in the baking tin, then use the parchment paper to cleanly remove them and transfer to a flat surface to slice into squares. Top with Powdered Sugar if desired, then serve and enjoy. Leftovers will keep at room temperature for up to 3 days, or in the fridge for up to one week.
- Ground Flax may be substituted with ground Chia Seeds.
- Maple Syrup can be replaced with another liquid sweetener of choice.
- I would not suggest replacing the Arrowroot Powder in this recipe; Cornstarch will make the bars too firm, and Tapioca Flour will make them too gummy.
- If you forget to soak your Cashews ahead of time, you can either boil them for a few minutes until tender, or pop them in the good ol’ microwave with some water for 2-3 minutes.
- Not all Powdered Sugar is Vegan, but you can easily make your own by blending White Sugar at a high speed for 10-20 seconds until a fine powder forms.