This Vegetable Lasagna with White Sauce tastes cheesy and indulgent, but is actually dairy-free and healthy! A hearty, delicious, and yummy Vegan entree.
For the White Sauce:
- ¼ + 2 tbsp cup Brown Rice Flour*
- ¼ cup Nutritional Yeast
- 6 cup Unsweetened Soy Milk*
- ½ tsp Nutmeg
- ½ tsp Salt
- Pinch of Cayenne or Red Pepper (Optional)
For the Vegetable Filling:
- 1 small Yellow Onion, diced
- 2 tsp Vegetable Bouillon Paste*
- 4 cups Broccoli Florets, finely diced
- 2 cups Carrot, julienned (I used store-bought)
- 5 oz Baby Spinach
- 3 tbsp Fresh Basil, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp Fresh Parsley, finely chopped
- ½ tsp Smoked Paprika
- Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
- ½ batch of Homemade Vegan Ricotta (about 1 ½ cups)
- ½ cup Gluten-Free Breadcrumbs
- ~14 oz Oven-Ready Lasagna Noodles (I used Gluten-Free)
- Prep all of your produce and ingredients, then preheat the oven to 425F.
- First, Prep the White Sauce. Add the Nutritional Yeast and Brown Rice Flour to a large pot and toast over Medium Heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once toasted, add in the remaining Sauce ingredients and whisk well. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat back to medium and cook for 3-4 minutes, until thickened. Set Aside
- In the meantime, prep the Vegetable Filling. Add the diced Onion to a large pan with a splash of water or oil and sauté over medium heat, until translucent. Add the Smoked Paprika and Vegetable Bouillon paste to the pan along with the Carrots and a splash of water; sauté for an additional 1-2 minutes. Then, add the Broccoli, Spinach, Basil, and cook until the Spinach has wilted, approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Pour 1 cup of the White Sauce into the base of a 9″ x 13″ baking dish and spread it around evenly. Add 1 layer of Lasagna Noodles to the bottom of the dish, making sure they overlap slightly.
- Add half of the Vegan Ricotta to the top of the Noodles and use a spatula to spread it around evenly. Pour half of the cooked Vegetables over the Ricotta, then evenly spread 1 cup of White Sauce on top of the Vegetables. Repeat this step once again, using up the remainder of the Ricotta and Vegetables.
- Top the second layer off with a final layer of Noodles, then pour the remainder of the White Sauce over the Lasagna. Evenly sprinkle the Breadcrumbs over the top, then cover the baking dish with tin foil.
- Bake for 40 minutes covered, then 15 minutes uncovered. Remove the Lasagna from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving. Store any leftovers in the fridge for up to one week.
- I would strongly recommend using Soy Milk for this recipe for the best texture and flavor of the white sauce. You can, however, substitute with another Unsweetened Plant Milk of choice.
- Brown Rice Flour can be substituted with AP Flour, if you are not Gluten-Free
- Please use a Vegetable Bouillon Paste for this recipe, not broth. This provides a concentrated Vegetable Flavor without adding any extra water to the recipe