This Buffalo Chickpea Salad is a spicy twist on the classic chickpea salad! Protein-packed and perfect for slathering on sandwiches and bringing with you on the go. Vegan & Gluten-Free.
- 4 cups (665 g) cooked salt-free chickpeas*
- 1/2 cup (60 ml) Homemade Vegan Mayo (or store-bought)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) buffalo hot sauce*
- 3 large ribs celery, thinly sliced
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 2 tablespoons chipped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Add-ins (optional): 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels , 1 cup finely diced cucumber
- For serving (optional): toasted bread, lettuce or lettuce cups, crackers, carrots and/or celery sticks
- Buffalo Mayo: place the mayo and hot sauce in a large bowl and whisk until combined.
- Mash the Chickpeas: Add the cooked chickpeas to the same bowl and use a potato masher or a fork to mash to your liking; I prefer to roughly mash around 75% them to give a nice texture, but you can adjust according to your own personal preference.
- Mix It Up: toss in the celery, onion, carrot, dill and cilantro. Mix well, until the dressing is evenly distributed. Add any additional salt or black pepper to taste, if necessary.
- Serve: serve as-is, in a sandwich, or as a hearty “dip” with crackers, veggie sticks, or lettuce cups. Store any leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- If you are using canned chickpeas, make sure to drain and rinse them well
- Buffalo hot sauce is a common hot sauce in the US, usually with the brand “Franks.” If you don’t live in the US, you can use your favorite mild hot sauce instead for a fun twist!