This Pumpkin Chai Bubble Tea is a cozy fall boba tea infused with warm pumpkin and chai spices and sweetened with pumpkin spice-infused maple syrup. Vegan, Refined Sugar-Free, Gluten-Free.
- Brew the Tea Concentrate: Use the stove, microwave, or an electric kettle to heat 1 cup of water to ~200F (just before boiling). Place the tea or tea bags in a mug, pour the water on top, and steep for 5 minutes. Remove the tea bags (do not squeeze them – this makes the tea bitter), then place the tea in the fridge to cool while you cook the boba. This can be done up to 2 days in advance.
- Cook the Boba: In the meantime, bring a large pot of water to a boil, then add in the tapioca pearls. Boil until the pearls rise to the surface and are chewy, about 5 to 7 minutes (or, cook according to package instructions). Drain and rinse with cold water. The boba will begin to stick together, so cook only what you need and try to use immediately.
- Assemble: Add 1/4 cup (60 ml) of brewed tea to each cup, then add in 2 tablespoons of pumpkin puree and 2-3 teaspoons of pumpkin spice maple syrup; mix well. Divide the boba between serving glasses (the recipe amount will make 4 cups) and top off with ice, if desired. Pour 1/4-1/2 cup of nondairy milk over the tapioca pearls, depending on how milky you like your tea. Stir well and adjust any flavors to taste.
- Serve & Store: Enjoy the boba immediately! Extra tea concentrate can be stored in an airtight jar in the fridge for up to 7 days.
- Sweetener substitutes: replace the maple syrup with equal parts brown sugar or cane sugar