Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.
This BBQ Tempeh is tangy, sticky, spicy, and most importantly, easy!
All you need is 3 simple ingredients and 20 minutes to make it.
This BBQ Tempeh is so stinkin’ easy, that practically anyone could do it! Seriously. All you need is one pot, 3 ingredients, and just around 20 minutes. Thanks to my tried & true tempeh cooking method, you’ll have a delicious, saucy, and delightfully addicting plant protein on your table in no time!
Yep, you heard me right. All you need is tempeh, vegetable broth, and barbecue sauce for this recipe. I used my favorite store-bought sauce for time + ease, but you could also make your own if you are feeling extra fancy.
The secret to making fuss-free tempeh is to combine the marinating, steaming, and sauteéing steps….into one. I use a similar process with my Smoky Tempeh recipe, and it works just as well here. Cooking the tempeh in the marinade + a little extra liquid infuses it with extra flavor. Plus, the evaporating water helps to steam the tempeh as it cooks down, which gets rid of that funky “sour” taste that raw tempeh can have.
How to Make BBQ Tempeh
All you really have to do is chop your tempeh, bring it to a boil in a pot with some vegetable broth, and then stir in the BBQ sauce and cook it down until it’s glossy and crispy. That’s it, friends! No separate bowls, long oven bake times, or fancy equipment required.
This BBQ tempeh is saucy, sticky, and finger-lickin’ good. I also love how it’s totally customizable – you can use a milder BBQ sauce if you don’t like heat, or a sweeter one if you want things extra juicy. Honestly, you can use this cooking process with just about any marinade or sauce and it will work! I started cooking my tempeh this way a few years ago, and I haven’t looked back since.
You can also grill your tempeh if you’re looking for those classic char marks and an extra layer of flavor. It only takes about 10 minutes (the instructions are in the recipe card), but it’s totally optional. I enjoy it both ways!
Ways to Use Barbecue Tempeh:
- as a side (with Macaroni Salad, perhaps?)
- in tacos
- chopped up in a salad
- stuffed into a sandwich or wrap
- served alongside grilled veggie skewers
Honestly? This stuff is so good, I see it becoming a weeknight staple in my house. It’s so easy to make, plus I always seem to have some BBQ sauce in my fridge!
Fuss-Free Sticky BBQ Tempeh
This BBQ Tempeh is tangy, sticky, spicy, and most importantly, easy! All you need is 3 simple ingredients and 20 minutes to make it.
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 15 Minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 Servings 1x
- Category: Side
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
For the BBQ Tempeh:
- 2 8-ounce (227 g) packages tempeh
- 1 cup (237 ml) low-sodium vegetable broth
- ½ cup (118 ml) BBQ sauce of choice*
For Grilling: (optional)
- Additional barbecue sauce, to spread on top
- High-heat cooking oil, to brush the grill
- Remove the tempeh from the packaging and cut each block into thick strips about ¾” wide. Add the tempeh and vegetable broth to a large, deep sauté pan and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Set a timer and cook for 5 minutes after the mixture starts to bubble.
- Reduce the heat to medium, then stir in the BBQ sauce. Cook the tempeh for an additional 7 to 10 minutes, flipping it every 2 to 3 minutes to ensure both sides cook evenly.
- To Grill (optional): heat a grill or grill pan and brush generously with oil. Place the cooked tempeh strips on the grill and cook for 5 minutes, then flip and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Brush each side with BBQ sauce liberally after it finishes cooking, then serve.
- Barbecue Sauce: feel free to use your favorite barbecue sauce in this recipe! I used this organic store-bought one, but you can also make your own.
- You can easily double or triple this recipe to serve a larger crowd, or cut it in half to serve 2 🙂
Keywords: BBQ Tempeh ribs, vegan bbq ribs, tempeh recipes, vegan tempeh recipes, barbecue tempeh recipes, oil free tempeh recipes, vegan barbecue recipes