Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.
Hearty and Cozy, this Chickpea Pot Pie has a flaky crust, lots of veggies, a creamy sauce, and plenty of plant-based protein thanks to hearty-healthy Chickpeas!
Is it just me, or is Pot Pie pretty much the ultimate comfort food? I mean, it’s pretty hard to beat a buttery crust combined with a creamy, hearty, and flavorful filling. It’s a perfect cozy day food to snuggle up with – but equally as appropriate to make when you want to feed your soul or give your taste buds a little extra love.
Most Pot Pie is typically, well, not Vegan. But us plant-based peeps deserve to enjoy this mouth-watering comfort food too, am I right?! I know I’m right.
That’s why I decided to make this Chickpea Pot Pie! With a few simple substitutions — like heart-healthy Chickpeas for Chicken — this recipe is equally delicious as the classic. Plus, it’s also Gluten Free, Grain Free, and even Oil Free! Dare I even call it “healthy”?
We’ll start by making a thick and creamy “Sauce” for our Pot Pie with some Non-Dairy Milk, Nutritional Yeast, and Chickpea Flour. This will replace the Heavy Cream or Canned Soup that’s in the “normal” recipe.
Then we’ll sauté our veggies in some spices – I kept things pretty classic here with some Celery, Peas, Carrots, and Gold Potatoes for a nice and hearty bite. Toss these with the Chickpeas and Sauce, then place in a Pie Crust and bake away! I opted to use my 3 Ingredient Pie Crust for this recipe, but you can use another recipe if you’d like.
Fair Warning: your house is going to smell abso-freakin-lutely amazing while this bakes in the oven. And you’re most likely going to do a happy dance when you take your first bite 😉 I would recommend preparing this Chickpea Pot Pie when you have friends and family over, because it’s so dang good and you may not be able to hold yourself back from eating it all at once.
Not that it’s a bad thing to listen to your food cravings, but you know. I’m not sure any of us need to eat an entire Pie in one sitting…
I’m so happy with how this Chickpea Pot Pie turned out! It’s just as yummy and cozy as the ones I remember eating in my childhood, and I can’t wait for you guys to try it yourselves. Isn’t it amazing how we can recreate prettty much anything with plant-based alternatives?
Let’s serve ourselves a warm, thick, and healthy slice of pie and celebrate.
A Few Final Thoughts:
- I used a combination of Fresh Carrots + Frozen Peas for my vegetable filling, but you can also make things easier on yourself and buy a frozen blend of the two.
- This recipe has a longer ingredient list, but the steps are still very simple! However, both the Pie Crust and Chickpea filling can be prepared in advance if you’re looking to save time later.
- If you’re looking for more Cozy Vegan recipes, you’ll also love this One Pot Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff, this Easy Vegan Chili, and this Sweet Potato & Rosemary Vegan Quiche!
Vegan Chickpea Pot Pie
Hearty and Cozy, this Chickpea Pot Pie has a flaky crust, lots of veggies, a creamy sauce, and plenty of plant-based protein thanks to Chickpeas!
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 45 Minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 8 Servings 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: Oven, Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 2 batches of Easy Vegan Pie Crust* (see notes)
For the “Sauce”:
- 2 cups Unsweetened Non-dairy Milk
- 2 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- ¼ cup Chickpea Flour*
- 1 tsp Salt, plus more to taste
For the Filling:
- 1 ½ cup Cooked Chickpeas
- ½ Yellow Onion, diced
- 2 small ribs of Celery, chopped
- ½ cup Carrots, diced
- ⅔ cup Yellow Potatoes
- ⅔ cup Frozen Peas
- 1 tsp Fresh Thyme, chopped
- ½ tsp Smoked Paprika
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper, plus more to taste
- Prepare the “Sauce”: Combine all ingredients in a small pot and whisk to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes, whisking occasionally. Set the sauce aside while you prep the filling; it will thicken slightly.
- Cook the Filling: While you prep the filling, preheat the oven to 425F. Add a splash or water or oil to a large Nonstick pot over medium heat. Sauté the Onion, Celery, and Carrot until translucent, then add the spices and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Add the Potatoes to the pot along with ¼ cup of water, then cover and let steam for 5 minutes. Uncover, then stir in the Chickpeas, Peas, and thickened Sauce until well-combined.
- Assemble the Pie: Pour the Chickpea & Veggie filling into a 9″ pie tin “lined” with a pre-baked Pie Crust, then cover with the additional unbaked pie crust. Use a fork or your fingers to “pinch” the top crust layer with the bottom layer, then cover the edges of the Pie Crust with tin foil (see notes). Bake at 425F for 15 minutes, then remove the foil and cook for an additional 10-12 minutes.
- Let the Pie sit for 5 minutes, then slice and serve as desired. Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 7 days
- You can keep the top layer of the Pie Crust unbaked for this recipe, but I suggest pre-baking the bottom one at 400F for 15 minutes.
- Chickpea Flour can be replaced with Brown Rice Flour or All-Purpose Flour; I have not tested any other substitutions.
- I find that the easiest way to cover the pie crust edges with tin foil is to cover the entire pie with one sheet and then rip or cut a hole out of the center of it, so the center of the pie is still visible.
Want to save this Vegan Chickpea Pot Pie for later? Pin the recipe to your Pinterest boards: