Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.
Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
While I honestly have never made a big holiday out of March 17th, I’ll take any excuse I can to eat colorful themed food 😉 So, I decided to remake a classic “Shamrock Shake” that McDonald’s sells — but vegan of course, plus a few extra healthy twists!
The base of this recipe is not bananas, but instead, a mix of frozen cauliflower, peas, and avocado. Say whaaat? It may sound strange, but I promise, you really can’t taste it. Because mint does not pair so well with fruit, I decided to use mildly flavored veggies to make the smoothy thick and creamy and to sweeten the smoothie with dates instead.
I was actually inspired to use this combination because of all of the “fruit free smoothies” that I’ve been seeing on Instagram lately. Personally, I don’t believe that adding fruit to your smoothie is unhealthy in ANY way, shape or form (and let’s be honest — if there’s no fruit, it’s a soup, not a smoothie) but nevertheless, veggies make a perfect vessel for this healthier shake.
This post is actually a collaboration with several of my vegan blogger friends! I’ll post links to all of their recipes below, because you’re definitely going to want to check this deliciousness out:
Lisa Reimi made some Brownie Whip Parfaits
After you whip yourself up this thick, creamy, and good FOR you Shamrock Shake, be sure to head on over to their pages 🙂
Healthy Vegan Shamrock Shake
- 1/4 cup Riced Cauliflower frozen
- 1/2 cup Peas frozen
- 1-3 Medjool Dates
- 1-2 cups Oat Milk or plant based milk of choice
- 1/2 of an Avocado
- 1/4 tsp Peppermint Extract
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Optional Vegan Whip Cream and Cherries for topping
- Pit the Medjool Dates and soak in warm water for 5 minutes, then drain
- Add the frozen cauliflower, peas, avocado, 1 cup of oat milk, and extracts to a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. If your mixture is too thick for your preference, add up to 1 additional cup of plant based milk until it reaches your desired texture 🙂
- Pour into a glass and top with vegan whip cream and a cherry, if you’re feeling fancy
I also made a “cook with me” style recipe video for this shake, which you can watch here: