I love to spend my time in the kitchen. Cooking is something that I am incredibly passionate about, and I often use it as a stress reliever. Is anyone else out there a procrasti-baker?
However, as a busy graduate student, sometimes I just don’t have time (or let’s face it, the energy) to slave over a home-cooked meal. I just want an easy yet delicious recipe that I can make in less than 30 minutes and plop into a bowl. That way I have a little time to collapse onto my couch and relax for a bit before starting on my never-ending pile of homework. What fun! 😉
Luckily, this recipe checks ALL of those boxes. Hearty quinoa, bell peppers, and salsa combine to make a zesty, filling, and nourishing meal! This recipe will make enough for 4 to 5 dinners too, so after you cook it once, you can save even more time by just reheating it over the next few days. If you don’t like to repeat leftovers, you could put it in a freezer-safe bag and it will save well that way too. Personally, I like to enjoy this with a nice salad on the side for some extra greens!
One-Pot Mexican QuinoaPrint This
- 1 1/3 cup Dry Quinoa (+ 2 cups Water)
- 3/4 cup Salsa of choice
- 1 cup Green Pepper, diced
- 1 large Zucchini, sliced
- 1 1/2 cup Cooked Black Beans
- 1/3 cup Fresh Cilantro, chopped
- Chop and slice your veggies
- In a medium-large pot, sauté the diced Green Pepper with a little water over medium heat for 2-5 minutes
- Add the sliced Zucchini, Quinoa, Salsa, and 2 cups of Water into the pot and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Let cook for 20 minutes.
- Turn the heat off, quickly open the lid, and stir in the black beans. Re-cover and let sit for 5 minutes (This allows the beans to heat up if you are serving this dish right away!)
- Uncover the quinoa, stir in the cilantro, and fluff with a fork.
If you are using canned Black Beans, be sure to rinse and drain them before adding them to the quinoa // If you are just using this recipe for Meal Prep and do not plan on eating it right away, you can just add the Black Beans with the cilantro at the end
This recipe is part of my “Vegan Meal Prep in 1 Hour” video on Youtube, where I show you how to make your breakfasts, lunches, and dinners for a work or school week…all in 50 minutes! You can check out the video here, or I will embed it below as well:
What is your go-to meal when you’re in a time crunch? Let me know in the comments below! I’d love to get some new ideas for myself 🙂