Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.
This plant-based twist on the classic Niçoise Salad uses roasted vegetables and crispy chickpeas for a vibrant, wholesome, and hearty meal! Vegan & Gluten-Free.
Introducing: my new favorite spring/summer salad! This Sheet-Pan Vegan Niçoise Salad has it all: raw and roasted veggies, crispy chickpeas, salty things, and a bright and tangy dressing. It’s the perfect appetizer to share, or simple (but elegant main) for a laid-back lunch or dinner (bonus points if it’s al fresco).
INGREDIENTS + INSPIRATION
Niçoise Salad is originally from Nice, France, and is a room-temperature salad with base of tomatoes, niçoise olives, tuna or anchovies, and eggs. At one point a French chef added some green beans and potatoes to it….and since then, well, the inspiration + variations have become pretty much endless! The ingredients are usually cooked separately, then tossed in dressing separately, then plated (separately), so each person can grab what they want 🙂
This recipe is a loose take on the classic – we’ve got some common ingredients here, but this plant-based take roasts the veggies instead of blanching them. This means a heartier flavor and less work for us – I call that a win-win!
HOW TO MAKE SHEET-PAN NIÇOISE SALAD
This vibrant, wholesome, and plant-based recipe comes together in only a few simple steps:
- Roast the chickpeas, capers, and potatoes until crispy.
- Toss some green beans and radishes onto the baking tray, then roast again
- In the meantime, whisk some olive oil, lemon juice, chives, shallot, and thyme together for a simple dressing
- Plate the roasted vegetables, add in some fresh, top with dressing, and serve!
NOW, MAKE IT YOUR OWN!
I personally think this Vegan Niçoise Salad is perfect as-is, but it’s also a great “base recipe” for you to add to. If you’re wanting…
- More crunch? Try adding sliced cucumber, shredded carrot, corn, or skip cooking the radishes
- Plant-Based eggs? add super-firm tofu for a similar texture, or sprinkle some kala namak over the chickpeas!
- More brine? top with quick-pickled red onions or artichoke hearts for a tangy and briny bite
- More volume? serve over greens, though not traditional
- Get creative: feel free to swap out the veggies and make it your own! Green beans can be replaced with asparagus or broccolini, potatoes can be swapped for chopped parsnips or sweet potatoes. Swap out the herbs for fresh basil or parsley. At this point it’s not really a Niçoise salad at all, but hey – the only thing that really matters is that it tastes good to you! 😉
If you’re looking for more wholesome and vibrant plant-based salads, you’ll also love this Dilly White Bean & Cucumber Salad, this Curried Lentil Salad with Roasted Cauliflower, and this Rainbow Quinoa Salad with Red Curry Dressing!Print
Sheet-Pan Vegan Niçoise Salad
This plant-based twist on the classic Niçoise Salad uses roasted vegetables and crispy chickpeas for a vibrant, wholesome, and hearty meal!
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 45 Minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: Serves 4
- Category: Main
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Americna
- Diet: Vegan
For the Salad:
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- 2 15-ounce (425 g) cans chickpeas, drained, rinsed, and dried thoroughly
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1.25 pounds (566 g) small red potatoes, quartered
- 8 ounces (225 g) haricot verts (thin green beans)
- 5 red radishes, ends trimmed and cut in half
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 dry pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/2 cup pitted niçoise or kalamata olives
For the Dressing:
- 2–3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Prep: *If you have time, drain, rinse, and dry chickpeas in advance – this allows them to crisp up more in the oven. Preheat the oven to 425F and prep all the vegetables. Set a baking sheet aside.
- Roast: add the chickpeas, capers, a drizzle of olive oil, and salt to a large bowl and mix well. Spread across 2/3 of the baking sheet. Toss the potatoes in the same bowl with oil and salt, then transfer to the other 1/3 of the sheet. Roast on the top rack of the oven for 30 minutes.
- Make the Dressing: in the meantime, whisk the lemon juice, oil, mustard, shallot, chives, thyme, and salt and pepper together in a small bowl until emulsified. Toss the green beans and radishes with salt and oil in the same large bowl as before, then set aside.
- Get it Crispy: remove the baking tray from the oven and push the chickpeas to the side – they should be crispy. Add the green beans and radishes to the center of the tray, then roast on the top rack of the oven for an additional 13-15 minutes.
- Serve: Transfer the roasted elements to a large tray, then add on the tomatoes, olives, and dressing. Niçoise salad is usually served with the elements divided and at a slightly warm or room temperature, but you do you!
Keywords: vegan niçoise salad, vegan salad recipes