These Sheet Pan Za’atar Chickpeas with Sweet Potatoes combine crispy chickpeas, tender veggies, and creamy sweet potatoes with a herby Middle Eastern spice blend. Vegan & Gluten-Free.
This Sheet Pan Za’atar Chickpeas with Sweet Potatoes recipe is a flavor and texture combination straight from heaven! Crispy herbed chickpeas paired with the perfect contrast of creamy, smoky sweet potatoes and tender roasted bell peppers will leave your taste buds singing.
INGREDIENTS + INSPIRATION
This Sheet Pan Za’atar Chickpeas with Sweet Potatoes recipe is a Middle Eastern-inspired dish made by combining a staple Middle Eastern spice blend with crispy chickpeas, tender veggies, and smoky sweet potatoes. If you’re like me, trying different spice blends from other cultures is something that’s so exciting. The moment I tried za’atar, I knew I was in love. Its nutty, herby flavors are deliciously unique and bring out the best in nearly any vegetable it touches. Originating as far back as Ancient Egyptian times, za’atar is rooted in the name of an ancient wild oregano that was very important in its time. Being among some of the oldest spice blends in human history, YOU KNOW this stuff must be good! 😉
You can find za’atar in the spice section of most grocery stores, or purchase it online. Aside from that, the rest of the ingredients are simple, colorful, and wholesome – just the way I like it!
HOW TO MAKE SHEET PAN ZA’ATAR CHICKPEAS WITH SWEET POTATOES
You all seem to really love my sheet pan recipes – and I don’t blame you. They’re in my top favorites too; what’s not to love about a wholesome, veggie-packed dish that you can easily throw together and bake all on one pan? Simply toss your chickpeas and vegetables in oil and seasonings, then roast until crispy and delicious.
- Dry garbanzo beans with a kitchen towel, discarding the loose skins, then transfer to a bowl. Mix in za’atar, salt, and olive oil. Set aside.
- Add sweet potato, bell pepper, and onion to the baking sheet, then add olive oil, cumin, smoked paprika, garlic powder, and salt, and toss to coat.
- Bake until crispy, flipping midway.
- Enjoy with rice or pita and a drizzle of tahini sauce, or as desired.
This hearty Middle Eastern-inspired dish is great for easy meal prep or a wholesome dinner that’s ready in under an hour! It’s a hearty, filling meal that is loaded with plant-based protein to keep you feeling satiated and nourished. It’s also super easy to store for later – I love keeping extras in the fridge for yummy, easy-to-make meals during a busy work week. The leftovers will stay fresh and delicious in the fridge for up to 5 days; just be sure to store the chickpeas separately to prevent them from getting soggy 😊
COOKING TIPS + FAQ:
- What Is Za’atar? If you’ve never had za’atar, you’re in for a treat! Za’atar is a Middle Eastern spice blend that consists of toasted sesame seeds mixed with an herb blend of thyme, savory, basil, and/or oregano. It brings a delicious combination of nutty, herby, and tangy flavors.
- Veggie Swaps: If you’d like to switch up the veggies in this dish, it would also be great with carrots, parsnips, cauliflower, eggplant, or brussels sprouts. You could also swap out the sweet potatoes for another hearty vegetable like creamy squash.
- Serving Suggestions: I enjoy serving this dish over a bed of rice or in a warm pita wrap – but however you serve it, don’t forget to drizzle it with some creamy tahini sauce! It’s the perfect finishing touch 😊 If you have hummus on hand, you could also add a dollop for a more thick, creamy texture. For more acidity, feel free to squeeze a little fresh lemon juice on top. Garnish with chopped parsley for a fresh, herby finish.
Finally, if you make this recipe and decide to share it on Facebook or Instagram, don’t forget to tag me @FromMyBowl + #FromMyBowl! I love seeing your delicious recreations 🙂Print
These Sheet Pan Za’atar Chickpeas with Sweet Potatoes combine crispy chickpeas, tender veggies, and creamy sweet potatoes with an herby Middle Eastern spice blend. Vegan & Gluten-Free.
For the Chickpeas:
- 2 cups (335 g) cooked chickpeas, rinsed well
- 1 tablespoon za’atar* spice blend
- Salt, to taste
- Olive oil, for drizzling
For the Vegetables:
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- ½ yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt, to taste
- Olive oil, for drizzling
For Serving (Optional)
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 420 F and line or grease a large baking sheet; set aside.
- Chickpeas: Place the chickpeas on a clean kitchen towel or paper towel and gently rub to dry well. Discard any loose skins, then transfer the chickpeas to a medium bowl. Add the za’atar, salt, and a generous drizzle of olive oil to the bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- Vegetables: add the sweet potato, bell pepper, and onion directly to the baking sheet. Sprinkle the cumin, smoked paprika, garlic powder, and salt over the veggies, then drizzle with olive oil. Toss until evenly combined, then push the vegetables to one side of the baking sheet; add the chickpeas to the open space and spread out evenly.
- Bake: Bake on the top rack of the oven for 20 minutes, flip the veggies and chickpeas, then return to the oven and bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes, until the chickpeas are crispy.
- Serve: Transfer the chickpeas and vegetables to serving bowls and serve with rice or pita and tahini sauce, or as desired. Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Za’atar: za’atar is a spice blend from the middle east; you can usually purchase it at any of your local grocery stores, or you can make your own with this recipe.