These Strawberry Sugar Cookies have a soft center with crispy edges and are bursting with sweet strawberry flavor! Vegan and Egg-Free.
- 1 flax “egg” (1 tbsp ground flax + 2 1/2 tbsp water)
- 0.6 ounces (17 g) freeze-dried strawberries
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold vegan butter*, sliced
- 1/3 cup (72 g) + 2 tablespoons cane sugar, plus 2 tablespoons to roll cookies in
- 1 packed tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (120 g) + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour,* spooned and leveled
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Prep: Prepare the flax egg by combining the ground flax and water in a small bowl, then set aside for at least 5 minutes to thicken. Place the freeze-dried strawberries in a blender or food processor (make sure it is completely dry!) and blend or pulse for 30 to 45 seconds, until a fine powder forms; set aside. Note: do not open the blender/processor right away – it will be very dusty! I recommend keeping it sealed until adding the dry ingredients in step 3 after some of the powder settles.
- Cream the Sugar: add the vegan butter to a large mixing bowl, then add in 1/3 cup of cane sugar and brown sugar. Use a handheld mixer to cream the butter and sugar together over a medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the thickened flax egg and vanilla to the bowl and beat again until the flax is fully incorporated into the butter mixture.
- Dry Ingredients: Add the flour, strawberry “powder”, baking powder, and salt to the bowl. Beat on the lowest setting of your mixer and mix until just combined, using a spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl if necessary. Place the cookie dough in the fridge to cool for 30 to 60 minutes.
- Form the Cookies: Preheat the oven to 350F while the cookie dough is chilling and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar in a small bowl. Divide the cookie dough into 12 even balls (mine were just under 2 tablespoons each), using your hands to roll into small spheres. Roll each cookie dough ball in the cane sugar until fully coated, then place on the lined baking sheet about 2” apart. Use your hands to flatten each cookie dough ball slightly – they will spread some in the oven, but not a lot.
- Bake: Bake in the middle rack of the oven for 12 to 13 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies look set, but the centers are still soft and puffy. Remove the cookie sheet from the oven and let the cookies set for 5 to 10 minutes before using a spatula to transfer them to a cooling rack.
- Serve & Store: Enjoy immediately, or store in an airtight container on the counter for up to 4 days. You can also store your cookies in the freezer for 1 to 2 months and de-frost as necessary.
- Flour: make sure to measure your flour correctly, or the cookies will be too dry! Use a spoon to fluff your flour and gently fill your measuring cup, then level off the top with a knife.
- Gluten-Free: You can also make this recipe with equal parts of an all-purpose gluten-free flour blend; the cookies will spread a little more in the oven but will still be delicious!
- Vegan Butter: you can also replace the vegan butter with coconut oil; measure the coconut oil and place in the fridge for 20 or so minutes before using so it is slightly harder