This Vegan Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal is packed with flavor thanks to juicy apples and warming spices! A wholesome and healthy make-ahead breakfast recipe
- 2 medium apples*, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups (225 g) quick-cooking or rolled oats, gluten-free if necessary
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups (590 ml) non-dairy milk of choice
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) grade A maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (50 g) roughly chopped walnuts (optional)
- Prep: preheat the oven to 350F. Peel your apples if desired (I did not), then chop them into 1/2″ pieces.
- Dry Ingredients: In a 9″x13″ baking dish, add in the oats, flax, cinnamon, nutmeg, optional allspice/cardamom/ginger, baking powder, and salt. Whisk or mix well.
- Wet Ingredients: Pour the non-dairy milk over the oats along with the maple syrup, and vanilla. Mix in the milk mixture well, then stir in the apples and walnuts, if using. Make sure the apples are spread evenly throughout the oat mixture.
- Bake & Serve: bake in the middle rack of the oven for 35 minutes, depending on how thick you would like the oatmeal to be. For a “runnier” oatmeal, serve immediately after baking. Otherwise, let the oatmeal cool completely, then slice into bars. Serve as desired, warm or cold; leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or can be pre-sliced and frozen for up to two months.
- Apples: I used honeycrisp apples for my oatmeal, but granny smith, jonagold, and pink lady apples are also great for baking!
- Oats: Use rolled oats for a chewy texture, and quick-cooking oats for a creamier consistency. I personally prefer to use a 50-50 mix for a hearty and creamy texture!
- Substitutions: maple syrup can be swapped for coconut sugar, agave, or brown sugar. Walnuts can be replaced with pecans, almonds, pepitas, or simply omitted. See the blog post for other recommended flavor variations.