This Banana Bread Baked Oatmeal is made from only 7 wholesome ingredients, but tastes just like your favorite treat! Vegan & Gluten-Free.
- 2 ripe bananas, plus 1 more for topping (optional)
- 2 1/2 cups (590 ml) non-dairy milk of choice
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) grade A maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 2 1/2 cups (225 g) rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup (50 g) roughly chopped walnuts (optional)
- Prep: preheat the oven to 350F
- Wet Ingredients: peel and finely mash 2 ripe bananas in a 9×13″ (or similar sized) baking dish. Add the maple syrup, non-dairy milk, and (optional) vanilla extract to the dish and mix until well-combined.
- Dry Ingredients: add in the oats, flax, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. Mix well. Fold the walnuts into the oats if using, then use a rubber spatula to evenly distribute the mix throughout the pan. Top with additional sliced banana, if desired.
- Bake & Serve: bake in the middle rack of the oven for 30-35 minutes, depending on how thick you would like the oatmeal to be. For a “runnier” oatmeal, serve immediately after baking. Otherwise, let the oatmeal cool completely, then slice into bars. Serve as desired, warm or cold; leftovers will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days or can be pre-sliced and frozen for up to two months.
- Substitutions: Maple syrup can be replaced with equal parts granulated or liquid sweetener of choice. Chia seeds can be used instead of flax. Walnuts can be omitted or replaced with another nut or seed. Do not use quick-cooking or steel-cut oats for this recipe.