These Crispy Romesco Smashed Potatoes have fluffy insides, a crispy skin, and are dunked in smoky Romesco Sauce.
Vegan & Oil-Free.
I can’t imagine life without potatoes. They’re nutritious, versatile, and highly satisfying – what’s not to love?
Today I’m sharing this recipe for Crispy Romesco Smashed Potatoes. They’re soft yet crispy, sweet and smoky, and totally Oil-Free and Vegan. Say what?!
INGREDIENTS FOR ROMESCO SMASHED POTATOES
You only need 4 simple ingredients to make this delightfully addicting recipe:
- Potatoes: I prefer to use mini gold potatoes, but any color will do. You do want them to be small though, otherwise they won’t “smash” properly!
- Romesco Sauce: ok, technically my Romesco Sauce is made of a few additional ingredients, but the sweet/smoky/creamy/tangy flavor is so. dang. worth. it. Think of it as like an adultified, more complex ketchup.
- Baking Soda: this is the secret ingredient to crispy potatoes, without the need for any added oil! This helps to firm up the exterior of the potatoes and make them nice & crunchy in the oven.
- Parsley: for a fresh kick of flavor and a little green color 🙂
HOW TO MAKE CRISPY SMASHED POTATOES
- Add the potatoes, baking soda, and salt to a large pot, then cover with water. Bring the potatoes to a boil with the water, then simmer for 10 minutes. This helps to make the potatoes less starchy, and cuts down on cooking time!
- Drain the potatoes, then transfer to a bowl and coat with romesco sauce
- Transfer the potatoes to a lined baking sheet and use a metal measuring cup or drinking glass to smash each potato – the more exposed flesh, the crispier!
- Bake in the oven at 425F for 20-25 minutes, until golden and crispy.
- Serve warm, alongside extra romesco sauce for dunking.
Sounds simple enough, right? Smashed potatoes always take a little extra cook time, but luckily it’s all hands off. Which means you can kick back and relax while your spuds cook, and wholeheartedly enjoy them once they’re done.
SOME SERVING SUGGESTIONS:
These crispy Romesco Smashed Potatoes make the perfect appetizer or party snack, but they can also serve as a hearty side dish as well! Try pairing them with…
- Portobello mushroom steaks and sautéed garlicky spinach,
- Massaged kale salad with chickpeas and avocado,
- These amazing mushroom veggie burgers (or your personal favorite!),
- or with some roasted broccoli and smoky tempeh!
These Crispy Romesco Smashed Potatoes have fluffy insides, a crispy skin, and are dunked in smoky Romesco Sauce. Vegan & Oil-Free.
- 1 1/2 pounds (680 g) small gold or red potatoes, washed
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon salt of choice
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) Romesco Sauce, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, for garnish
- Flaky salt, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Add the potatoes, baking soda, and salt to a large pot, then cover with water. Bring everything to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Drain the potatoes, then transfer to a bowl. Add 1/4 cup (60 ml) of romesco sauce to the bowl and use a spatula to coat them evenly. Transfer the potatoes to a lined baking sheet and smash each one with a heavy measuring cup, drinking glass, or potato masher. The more exposed flesh, the crispier!
- Bake in the top rack of the oven for 20-30 minutes, until golden and crispy. Start to check at 20 minutes and cook until your desired level of doneness is reached.
- Transfer the potatoes to a serving tray and garnish with parsley and flaky salt, if using. Serve warm with remaining romesco sauce for dunking.
If you’d like to add a drizzle of oil over the potatoes before baking in the oven, they will be even crispier!