A simple and tangy balsamic vinaigrette made with only 6 ingredients and 5 minutes of prep!
Serve with salads or use as a marinade.
Balsamic vinaigrette is a popular Italian dressing that has a tangy, sweet, and rich flavor. Today I’m sharing my recipe for a quick & easy balsamic vinaigrette – you’ll only need 6 ingredients, and it’s totally plant-based.
Making your own dressings may seem like a daunting task, but once you try it and taste the difference, it becomes a pretty easy habit 😉 So let’s get to it!
INGREDIENTS FOR BALSAMIC VINAIGRETTE
Balsamic vinaigrette can be made with as few as 3 ingredients, but most people add in a few extras to really round out the flavor. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Balsamic Vinegar: a dark and concentrated vinegar, true balsamic is made from whole pressed grapes (including their skin!) It originates from the Modena and Reggio Emilia regions of Italy, but nowadays there are a lot of “imitation” products out there on the market. I recommend using the highest quality balsamic that you can – it’s the main flavor base of this dressing, so you’ll notice the difference!
- Olive Oil: I prefer to use garlic-infused extra virgin olive oil, but regular will do just fine!
- Maple Syrup: balances the tartness of the vinegar. Some recipes call for the use of honey, but I like to use maple syrup to keep things vegan.
- Dijon Mustard: adds spice, depth of flavor, and also helps to thicken the dressing
- Oregano & Black Pepper: add some herbaceous flavor!
HOW TO MAKE SIMPLE BALSAMIC VINAIGRETTE
Making your own vinaigrette at home couldn’t be easier – simply add all ingredients to a jar, then shake until incorporated! You can also whisk everything together in a bowl, but I prefer the jar method because it doubles as a storage container.
Because everyone has their own preferences when it comes to dressing, I recommend tasting the dressing after you make it and adjusting as necessary. If the dressing is too tangy you can add extra maple syrup or oil, and if it’s too sweet, add an extra dash of balsamic!
WAYS TO USE BALSAMIC VINAIGRETTE
The most obvious way to use this dressing is in a salad, but don’t stop there! Here are a few more ways I like to use this multipurpose recipe in the kitchen:
- As a marinade for tempeh, tofu, or another plant-based protein,
- Drizzled over roasted veggies,
- In some Marinated Balsamic Mushrooms (which are the best on pizza!),
- As an extra boost of flavor in sandwiches, paninis, or wraps,
- As a dip – mixed with some thick vegan yogurt for a thicker consistency,
- Tossed with cooked pasta and some fresh veg for a quick & easy pasta salad!
A simple and tangy balsamic vinaigrette made with only 6 ingredients and 5 minutes of prep! Serve with salads or use as a marinade.
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) extra virgin olive oil (I used garlic-infused)
- 2–3 tablespoons grade A maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- black pepper, to taste
- Optional: 1 clove grated garlic
- Add all ingredients to a jar and shake vigorously, until the oil and vinegar have emulsified. Season with additional salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Serve as desired; store in the fridge for up to 10 days.
- Substitutions: Maple syrup can be replaced with another liquid sweetener, such as agave. Oregano can be replaced with an Italian seasoning blend.